We’ve been adopted!
The dedicated team at Studies Weekly is excited to continue sharing our interactive and rigorously standards-based Social Studies programs with more states. Tennessee, through the Tennessee Department of Education, recently adopted our Social Studies K-5 program statewide for a five-year term.
“As a publisher, we look forward to providing our state-adopted K-5 Social Studies programs to districts and schools for the next five years. We share a common goal with the DOE to lift and inspire students to a brighter future,” said Sheldon Savage, national adoption director for Studies Weekly.
What does this mean for Tennessee educators?
With just one student edition per week and minimal preparation, the Studies Weekly Social Studies curriculum covers 100% of the Tennessee State Social Studies Standards and Social Studies Practices over the course of a school year. Plus, our curriculum also covers many of the Tennessee State English Language Arts Standards including: non-fiction reading, writing, speaking, listening, viewing and technology use.
Realistically, teachers can use the Studies Weekly Social Studies program in their Language Arts block. Using a balanced literacy approach saves valuable planning and instruction time.
The content of Studies Weekly includes vivid illustrations and colorful maps along with primary source pictures and documents that engage students. The print edition is completely consumable. We wholeheartedly encourage teachers and students to write, highlight and draw all over each magazine or newspaper. And don’t forget the scissors – students can cut out images and texts to create social studies and language arts projects.
Because today’s students are digital natives, we also offer our curriculum on a robust online platform that captures students’ imagination through primary source videos and other media.
What students will get:
- Weekly print magazines/newspapers that feature primary source photos and documents, and engaging articles with eye-catching illustrations
- Access to an online platform highlighting thousands of primary source and related media, including photos, paintings, audio and video clips – with leveled questions for related media
- Virtual field trips to historical sites in Tennessee and the U.S.
- Audio reader recorded by real people, to better serve English language learners
- An avatar world and reward system that allows students to earn points and build their own virtual world
What teachers will get:
- Year-at-a-glance curriculum map as part of the Teacher Resource, with correlations to TN Social Studies Standards at point of use
- Content researched, developed, written and edited by educators
- Lesson plans and suggestions
- Multiple research-backed reading, listening and learning strategies
- Differentiated instruction for lower or below-level learners, ELL, and Gifted/Talented
- Integrated extension activities
- Customizable summative assessments easily recorded and monitored online
- Professional development on demand online
All these tools and resources are available through each teacher account on studiesweekly.com/online, and include the ability to easily communicate with students and parents.
So, what are you waiting for? Head over to store.studiesweekly.com to get started!